Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 6.10

christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "Berry Christopher" <christopher.berry1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Dear Friends - I'm 67 year old novice in Linux and I am enjoying the experience -
> shan't go back to Bill!! Color Inkjet and HP laser fine, BUT I can't install my
> scanner - Epson 2480 - I have iscan rpm packages on my desktop to sort things out
> but terminal keeps saying 'cannot find package' I've popped in
> /home/chris/Desktop/iscan etc.. BUT - no find!! I've searched the web BUT MY PROB
> seems to be too simple to consider!! So, new friends, I have  packages on screen
> looking at me HOW DO I INSTALL THEM?
> Cheers and Happy Christmas,
> Christopher Berry.
> PS Anyone else in the Hayle area?

You are running Ubuntu, which is a Debian-based Linux distribution.  It
sounds like you have an application in a RPM package.  You *can* install
it, but it's not a good idea to do so (unless you're absolutely certain
it will be fine).  It would be better to see if the correct program is
within Ubuntu's repositories.

PS
I'm just the west-side of Helston, so not far off Hayle.

Welcome aboard the DCGLUG.

--Grant.