Re: [LUG] interesting points -

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 11:55 +0000, William Fidell wrote:

Lets be honest, most courses at Masters level are about uni's making
money, and the entry requirements are based on the wallet not the brain.
Being a former University teacher who has helped many a student get an M.Sc. in Educational Studies, we set up a theme based course which took a range of contemporary issues and led off on them. Students could explore these and other topics, supported by their colleagues at work, and make them applicable to their work. Actual courses are at best a compromise between staff about what they want to do, but do encourage students to do a lot more reflection than usual, also supported by their senior colleagues. In other subjects they are supposed to present the most up to date topics and support to delve into these in some depth, in many cases practically. It all depends on the staff, their interests and how relevant these interests are to students' situations. I do know many exemplary courses - I did after all work in a Technological University, with expertise in applied sciences and technology. I am sorry your experiences have been so impoverished. My eldest daughter came ou best in her year in a Masters in Business Studies and went on to do some excellent project management, including getting major Lottery money (twice) for a community centre in Tiverton and steering the project through a lot of obstacles.