Re: [LUG] Microsoft + Novell = MicroVell

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:25:40 +0000
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I'm quite sure you cannot personally afford to defend against such
> > claims made by a pit of MS vipers (sorry, lawyers) in a US court.
> >
> They cant touch me for it. I'm not breaking the law here!

OK, just be careful if you need to bring in code from another source.

> you. Oh and (L)GPL2+ by the way.

:-)

> One reason I'm quite keen on  .NET stuff is I think this will actually be m$
> downfall - when I went to a m$ .NET seminar and they gloated about how they
> too were doing open standards etc etc I remember thinking  they still didn't
> get it but thanks for the standards..

:-)

When Microsoft follow someone else's standard, that's when I'll be
impressed. (And not half-hearted "pretend-follow" either.) Follow as
in: implement 100% of requirements in an interoperable way with any
other package that also implements 100% of requirements with no added
bonuses or extensions.

> > Microsoft and Novell will have to tread carefully to retain these
> > developers and the right to use the SuSE codebase.

> Its not easy for anyone to leave a job - especially people like the mono team
> who have so much invested in the stuff - and finding someone who can take on
> a team is quite difficult.

But if the Mono code is free, they aren't leaving it behind. Their
investment moves with them. Plus, if lots move together, they aren't
changing job, just changing the location of the workplace.

Don't underestimate the resources of the community - OK, there's
no pot of cash that can take on MS lawyers but there's not exactly a
shortage either.

--

Neil Williams