[LUG] OLPC was Re: Ubuntu and freedom?

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> http://www.phoronix.com/lch/
>
> I agree though, a detailed list that was fairly complete would help a
> lot!

I think it is a pipe dream.

Hardware properly supported by Linux is documented in the Linux Kernel
documentation for the Linux kernel you choose to use.

Your distro may, or may not provide good tools for supporting that
hardware. You may even have good tools for supporting hardware that the
Linux kernel doesn't support yet (module-assistant springs to mind).

At best one could list hardware well supported by one release of one
distribution "out of the box".

My tape drive is perfectly well supported under 2.4, but seems to "have
issues" with recent 2.6 kernels. As such free software drivers don't
solve the "out of support" issue (despite reports here to the contrary),
unless you have an investment in hardware that means supporting it
yourself is justified (general big business or expensive (low volume)
hardware). Freedom means you can incur big costs if you want to.

So each release of a distro would have additions and removals to such a
list.

As a Debian user, I hate to think what the list would look like with 11
architectures. Mostly Debian just retains installation reports, that say
"IBM Thinkpad model XXX worked (except for YYY)". Although an area the
install team could probably do with more semiskilled help I dare say.

The right solution is "OEM", where the supplier sorts these issues for
most hardware, and big productions runs of identical hardware (i.e. OLPC).

By the way the OLPC project has Qemu images on their website, and want
help testing them, and setting them up so people can help work on the
project.

That is a clearly defined, narrow, and relatively easy thing for the
folks here to try to help the community!

Install Qemu
install image
try OLPC out (if it works)
report issues if it doesn't.

My Debian Etch didn't work - I think it might be my serial(*) mouse
causing issues with QEMU, as the command line access is fine, it is just
Xorg that doesn't want to focus on the login box, and the mouse doesn't
work. I will report the issue if I can pin it down to the mouse.

Do we have a Qemu guru? As it would help. I also see Qemu as something
ZyNet may use to test Sarge to Etch migrations, although of course
hardware support is still a potential issue! It sure speeds up retrying
upgrades repeatedly.

 Simon

* Not saying the mouse is old but he has an MS AM/PC AT switch on the
underside.