Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and freedom?

What would help here IMO is a Hardware Compatibility List which would show all
items of hardware along with the expected level of functionality gained by using
free and proprietary drivers.  Then we'd all be able to choose the right piece of
kit according to our needs and hopefully use free drivers.
This would also have the effect of users (ie customers) carefully selecting
hardware according to availability of free drivers, thereby reducing sales of
hardware with only proprietary or lesser functioning free drivers.  This in turn
could persuade hardware manufacturers (Nvidia etc.) to open up their proprietary
drivers to the community in order to get their sales back.
This would of course need the support of the community but would benefit us all
in the end.
(Excuse me if this already exists somewhere but if it does it needs more publicity!)

Just my thoughts...

Cheers,
Matt.