Re: [LUG] etch security update

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:35:38 +0000
Tony Sumner <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I thought it might be time I did an update so I typed 'apt-get update'
> and got this:
>
>   W: There are no public key available for the following key IDs:
>   A70DAF536070D3A1
>   W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

apt-get install debian-archive-keyring

Why? See the description printed from:

apt-cache show debian-archive-keyring

> Can someone please explain what is going on? It's no good running
> apt-get update cos that's what I just did.

Ah, but running apt-get upgrade would have fixed it - by upgrading
debian-archive-keyring to include the latest key, ready for the final
Etch release.

The key is used to sign repository files so that you can be sure about
the source of all these packages. The key is replaced from time to
time. The first notice that you get, as above, can actually be ignored.
The next upgrade will bring in the updated key (because it's a
dependency of apt).

It's just unfortunate that update prints the message before upgrade can
bring in the new key. OTOH, it's nice to know that the key has been
rotated, so it works both ways.

--

Neil Williams