Re: [LUG] How GPL fits in with the future of antitrust regulation

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 10:57:46 +0000
paul sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/2010-10878_11-6137894.html?tag=nl.e019t
>
> Should be of interst to the group,  I still think it's confusing free as
> in free beer with free as in freedom  but in light of the result thats
> just a side issue.
>
> paul

The plaintiff was legally wrong too:

1. You can sell GPL software for money - it's just that once bought, it
can be offered for free by someone else:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

2. You can also charge per download, but again, it probably won't last
long.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowDownloadFee

In those two cases, the licence *allows* what the plaintiff said it does
not - it's just that in practical terms, what is allowed is also
self-defeating.

The plaintiff also got this wrong:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#HeardOtherLicense

Provided all copyright holders agree, a GPL program can be dual
licenced as proprietary and GPL - the GPL version will remain GPL
whatever happens so in practical terms, what you tend to get is a fork.
But still, the GPL specifically allows this.

--

Neil Williams