Re: [LUG] OS Architecture

Richard Brown wrote:

> 1. The registry - it seems to me that a central storage of your
> computers info is asking for trouble. It is like a magnet to some
> cracker. Coupled with the need to reboot to update your registry.

Nothing wrong with a central store if it is implemented correctly, and
correctly secured. The Microsoft registry includes security restrictions
to restrict access.

Indeed there is a case for saying that it makes systems more manageable.
Although that doesn't have to be a central store, just a single API for
getting and saving settings (even if they are stored all over the place).

The problems with the registry relate to how it is implemented, not the
concept, as I discovered the day one of our Windows servers ran out of
disk space at the wrong point whilst doing a Microsoft update, and
didn't have enough to do the appropriate registry changes, one reinstall
later all was well again. It also tends to bloat (which might be a fault
of the applications rather than the registry itself, although perhaps
the API should protect against it or monitor it better).

Most GNU/Linux and Unix distros effectively have a registry, it is
called "/etc", it reuses the existing filesystem, and security
permissions, which is both good and bad. But the downside is no single
interface tells you what settings are what, but a whole selection of
APIs and in some cases parsing diverse text files.

One could readily envision standardisation of the Unix/Linux config
files via say XML, or some other simpler format (YAML), which would
allow a simple API to be stuck on top. Some people have even proposed
such things.

> 2. Ports - my understanding is that Windows ships with ports wide
> open, Macs, Linux, close them down.
>
> Are the above correct please? Any other thoughts please?

Linux is a kernel, ports left open would be a distro thing.

Different GNU/Linux distros ship with different configurations. For
example some distros ship with the CUPS daemon listening for sharing
printers, some ship (like Debian) with it listening only on 127.0.0.1
(which is a pain if you don't know about it and try to share printers).

Some distros have no "root login", some shipped with the users logged in
as root by default (yuk).

Microsoft now ship end user Windows with the firewall enabled by
default, and in many ways it is a far more user friendly one than most
GNU/Linux distros default firewall (if they have one), Xandros being a
notable exception, the Redhat firewall stuff is not bad for servers.

Security is a process, it is not just shutting ports. I've seen
GNU/Linux boxes with what was historically very dodgy Unix services
exposed to the Internet stand up for years, because the code
implementing that was "good enough" (better than the original Unix
implementations), and the kernel has other protections against simple
buffer overflows, that made worm writing more challenging. And then
there is the lack of monoculture.....