[LUG] UKFSN Grants programme

Self explanatory

----- Forwarded message from Jason Clifford <jason@xxxxxxxxx> -----

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:26:08 +0000 (GMT)
From: Jason Clifford <jason@xxxxxxxxx>
To: users@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [UKFSN Users] Idea on UKFSN Grants programme

I've been giving some more thought to this today and had an idea I'd like
some feedback on.

Firstly it now seems to me that the idea of a grants programme in the
format currently envision (via AFFS) just isn't working for whatever
reason. Maybe it's because, as others have suggested, there just isn't
enough money to interest people.

Looking around at the more prominent people in the UK Free Software
communities (well the Linux communities anyway) it seems that almost all
became involved while at school/college/uni. Many if not all were writing
code for or otherwise contributing to Free Software projects.

How about the idea of part time employment for college/uni students to do
just that - write code or otherwise contribute to FS projects?

If I budget to pay each of them £4,500 during the year UKFSN could do this
for 2 students in 2007 rising to 3 or 4 in 2008 and about 10 in 2009.

These figures are based upon fairly conservative estimates of UKFSN income
from ADSL over the next 3 years.

Any thoughts?

Jason
--
UKFSN.ORG                       Finance Free Software while you surf the 'net
http://www.ukfsn.org/             up to 8Mb ADSL Broadband from just £14.98