Re: [LUG] Ubuntu and Environment Variables

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 06:36:49PM +0000, Jon wrote:
> I've been looking at Ubuntu (specifically 5.10 - Breezy) for a while now.
> I want to setup a bunch of environment variables that are available to
> services (Tomcat, JBoss) when I boot Ubuntu.  My naive
> understanding is that anything placed in .bashrc or /etc/profile will be
> available on a per user basis.  That's fine but I want to set an environment
> variable for all users, e.g. JAVA_HOME.  Any ideas how I do this?

Put them in /etc/environment (unless Ubuntu has broken this).

[...]
> Can somebody explain the advantages of setting it up in /etc/alternatives
> instead?
> To me it looks more complex and more hassle to modify in the long run.

It means you can install several versions of the JVM (and gcj, gij, etc) and
switch between them easily; update-alternatives will allow you to change all
the symlinks to the correct one (it even sets the manpage symlinks up
automatically, so you get the right page for the version of the program you
have configured).