[LUG] FS: Compaq Proliant 5500 Quad Xeon Server, cheap. (Newton Abbot)

Compaq Proliant 5500 server for sale. £100 ONO, COLLECTION ONLY (Newton
Abbot, S Devon)
Rackmount 7U (12") server (Not the version with wheels)
Quad CPU's (Intel Xeon 500 - System Bogomips     4001.41 )
2.5GB RAM.
Hardware SCSI RAID card.
FIVE 18.6GB Fast SCSI hotswap drives (Configured as one logical ext3
drive of 56.85GB with RAID 5)
Twin PSU's (redundant hotswap)
FOUR internal high capacity cooling fans (Two banks of two, redundant
auto-swap)
Realtek RTL8139 PCI 10/100 NIC.
Onboard 3d VGA  (ATi Technologies Inc 3D Rage IIC 215IIC [Mach64 GT IIC] )

Been running a zoneminder CCTV system for eight months, now replaced
with faster machine and surplus to requirements.
Installed with Debian testing (etch), a SMP HIMEM kernel to make use of
the quad cpu's.
Supplied with CDR containing the Compaq Smart-Start configuration
boot-disk (so you don't have the fun I did trying to find it)

I also fitted a 200GB IDE drive to the IDE chain as hda, now removed -
but is a possible extra storage option. Hard to get documentation on
what drives work using this method but I was lucky.

Warning: This server is very loud. It is also very heavy and ideally
needs two people or trolley to carry.
Been running in a garage for a few months and is quite dirty - spiders
webs etc. Nothing that has interfered with cooling, but needs a polish.
Once about every ten boots, CPU1 fails to initialise. Needs boot into
smartstart to reset, and then it's fine. I'm not sure why it does this -
swapping the cpu and controller card with another pair doesn't solve it
so I don't think it's a dodgy cpu or controller. Once running it doesn't
fail.
Sold as seen - will demonstrate, will throw in a 14" monitor if wanted.
Still a very usable and reliable machine, same Bogomips as a new AMD-64
3200 but will probably outlast one.

Proceeds to charity. Please contact me offlist if interested.

(Some DMESG snippets for the curious)

1663MB HIGHMEM available.
896MB LOWMEM available.
found SMP MP-table at 000f4fd0
OEM ID: COMPAQ   Product ID: PROLIANT     APIC at: 0xFEE00000
Processor #3 6:7 APIC version 16
Processor #0 6:7 APIC version 16
Processor #1 6:7 APIC version 16
Processor #2 6:7 APIC version 16
Processors: 4
Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.
Initializing CPU#0
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 12, 65536 bytes)
Detected 499.960 MHz processor.
Using tsc for high-res timesource
        (Repeat x 4)
Memory: 2592048k/2621424k available (1485k kernel code, 28224k reserved,
617k data, 260k init, 1703920k highmem)

Compaq SMART2 Driver (v 2.6.0)
cpqarray: Device 0xae10 has been found at bus 5 dev 0 func 0
cpqarray: Finding drives on ida0 (Smart Array 221)
cpqarray ida/c0d0: blksz=512 nr_blks=142253280
ida/c0d0: p1 p2 < p5 >
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hdb: COMPAQ XM-6402B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

df
/dev/ida/c0d0p1       67393396   3834580  60135368   6% /
devshm                 1298592         0   1298592   0% /dev/shm