Re: [LUG] Problems with my digital camera

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 16:38, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Well yes. When I, say, put a DVD or a CD in the relevant drive the
> computer recognises it as a new device and a window appears on the
> screen asking me what I want to do with it.
>
> When I plug in my camera to a USB port and power it up I expect
> something similar to happen. Instead the computer freezes and I have to
> power it down and start again.
>
> As I have explained, if I plug in the camera first, before powering up
> the computer, it all works fine. This is what I do not understand.
>
> I don't have a memory stick or card reader to test.
>
> Neil

I go along with Julian on this one - USB is a real pain at times. A couple of
suggestions -
Firstly, is your PC equipped with front USB sockets and rear ones? If so, have
you tried using the rear ones instead of the front ones? Generally a pain to
reach I appreciate, although you can get extension cables. The reason I ask
is because the front USB sockets are normally powered by very poor flimsy
wiring - often with several seperate individual wires per socket and they
can - and do - induce some problems. The rear ones are mounted on the
motherboard and generally give no problems.

The other thing which may be worth trying is to fire up a Konsole, enter the
command dmesg and watch what happens when you plug in the USB device. On one
of the early 2.6 kernels there was an issue with some USB devices, which
could be clearly seen in this way, but I doubt you are having that problem as
it has been sorted for a while now.

Mark