Re: [LUG] Problems with my digital camera

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Well yes. When I, say, put a DVD or a CD in the relevant drive the
> computer recognises it as a new device and a window appears on the
> screen asking me what I want to do with it.

That's recognising the removable media, not a new hardware device.
Entirely different ballgame.
> When I plug in my camera to a USB port and power it up I expect
> something similar to happen.
If USB was reliable you'd be right.  When I power up my external USB
hard drive or Dazzle Video Capture it does exactly as you say.  Sadly
it's also known as Useless Serial Bus (or other S words) due to the kind
of problems associated with it that you are having.  It plays merry hell
with my USB pendrive if the external drive is on at the same time.
> As I have explained, if I plug in the camera first, before powering up
> the computer, it all works fine. This is what I do not understand.

That clinches it.  My scanner used to do the same in Windows, which
proves it's the USB not the OS causing the hassle.  USB sometimes plays
silly *people* with recognising hardware, even when it's standard such
as my scanner.  Giving it something non-standard to look at it is just
inviting it to play up.  It obviously doesn't like your camera, which as
you mentioned before does use a proprietary protocol.
> I don't have a memory stick or card reader to test.

Unfortunately I'm in Wales or you could borrow mine.  Maybe you could
loan one as a test?

Kind regards,

Julian