Re: [LUG] Kubuntu - some first thoughts

On 14/11/06 12:31:03, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Once I learned about the repositories I found that I had to do some work to include two of them. Again I would have expected all of them to be available from installation.

The reason1 for this is relatively simple:
Ubuntu want to distribute single CD's so the "base" system is limited. For those users without internet access, this is all they would have.

However, Ubuntu's decision to separate repositories is quite different to Debian where packages all go into "main" unless there are legal reasons not to do so.

e.g. in Ubuntu, you have to enable Universe (and multiverse if you want the non-free) whereas in Debian, every package in main (including a LOT that are only available in Ubuntu Universe) is available without configuration changes. non-free may be different but that's for legal reasons.

There was not icon at all on the desktop. OK it was easy to add them
except that I have not yet found out how to include an icon for the
Home folder. All my previous distros have automatically included
that.

Icons on the desktop are so 1990's. That's what the menu is for!
:-)

It took me some time for find out that I cannot open up a terminal
screen directly from Konqueror. I have been used to moving around the
various folders in Konqueror and then using ctrl-T to go to a
terminal
screen which would be in the same folder.

KDE configuration madness. You could always use Gnome.

Before installing kubuntu I made some space on my disk by reducing the size of my /home partition using diskdrake in Mandriva. This left me about 110 Gb of empty space.
Normally when installing a distro I have had only two choices re
partitioning the hard disk. Either remove everything on the disk and
finish up with just the new distro. Or do my own partitioning of the
disk.

Edgy gave me a third choice, use any empty space on the disk. Great.

Mandrake did offer this in their installer previously - however a lot of people don't have sufficient free space so it's moot really.

chose that and the installer did the rest. It found Mandriva and left
it there for me. I ended up with a dual boot system by which I can
choose to run either Mandriva or Kubuntu. Brilliant.

I tried all this dual-booting GNU/Linux stuff when I had 12 distros installed on my i386 machine. It was fun - for about 2 weeks then I realised I didn't want to have to reboot all the time, that's for Windows zealots.

Now I'm left with a machine that has so many 5Gb partitions that it's very hard to either clean up the data or use the available free space.
:-(

My main amd64 machine now has a single data partition and all the free space in one big lump. Ideal for these protracted cross-building toolchain builds.

These are all personal comments, no complaints intended. I just
wondered if any group members would be interested. If not, then sorry
for wasting everyone's time

That's what the list is for : good and bad.

--

Neil Williams