Re: [LUG] Kubuntu - some first thoughts

Hi Neil

On 14/11/06, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some of the defaults that surprised me include -
>
> The numlock key was not turned on at log on. I had to find out how to
> change this.
This isn't an issue for me.

> The panel at the bottom of the screen could not be hidden, which is how
> I normally work. It was easy to sort out, but I would have expected the
> panel-hiding buttons to be there as the default.
But I like the panel at the bottom. Maybe you'll find they went with
the average users request!

> Once I learned about the repositories I found that I had to do some
> work to include two of them. Again I would have expected all of them to
> be available from installation.
I think you'll find that this is for ease of use for the windows user.
Some of the repositiories also install third party software.

> There was not icon at all on the desktop. OK it was easy to add them
> except that I have not yet found out how to include an icon for the
> Home folder. All my previous distros have automatically included that.
This is brilliant - a clear desktop - what more could you ask for.
It's a standard thing for Mac users.

> It took me some time for find out that I cannot open up a terminal
> screen directly from Konqueror. I have been used to moving around the
> various folders in Konqueror and then using ctrl-T to go to a terminal
> screen which would be in the same folder.
>
> My home folder was as expected but when I moved up to the root folder I
> could not see any files at all. This was sorted out thanks to help from
> the group, but not how I would have expected it to be from installation.
I would have said this was done for ex-windows users.

> To end for now with something that really impressed me -
>
> Before installing kubuntu I made some space on my disk by reducing the
> size of my /home partition using diskdrake in Mandriva. This left me
> about 110 Gb of empty space.
>
> Normally when installing a distro I have had only two choices re
> partitioning the hard disk. Either remove everything on the disk and
> finish up with just the new distro. Or do my own partitioning of the
> disk.
>
> Edgy gave me a third choice, use any empty space on the disk. Great. I
> chose that and the installer did the rest. It found Mandriva and left
> it there for me. I ended up with a dual boot system by which I can
> choose to run either Mandriva or Kubuntu. Brilliant.
>
> These are all personal comments, no complaints intended. I just
> wondered if any group members would be interested. If not, then sorry
> for wasting everyone's time
No very interesting - particularly on what was useful or not for you.

Thanks.
--
Rich
http://www.cregy.co.uk