Re: [LUG] Compiling a Debian kernel

This is just to wrap up a thread from October.

> I am now about to make a fresh start by installing testing from the
net install CD image.

The original aim was to get linux-wlan-ng working to drive a Netgear
MA111 wireless adapter. This is a prism2 USB device so linux-wlan-ng
should be a good solution. The l-w-ng install guide says you should
get the kernel source and preferably compile your own custom
kernel. At the very least, they say, you should run make
menuconfig. Which led me into a maze of problems but I now know that
the install guide advice is nonsense. I installed Debian testing
(etch) from a net install disk and ran
    apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.17-2-amd64
and that was all I needed to compile and install linux-wlan-ng.

Before getting there I looked at Linuxant, which is a commercial
solution based on a wrapper for the Windows driver. This didn't help
because for an AMD64 it supports only the Broadcom chipset.  It also
generates angry messages about a tainted kernel and dodgy use of usb
registers.  I also bought a PCI wireless card, a D-Link DWL510, but
that didn't help because I failed to check the HW version and it is
Ver A1 which has a Marvell (?) chipset and no OS driver.

The upshot is that I have etch, which is really nice, and a working
wireless link. Exim4 and mail were very easy to set up and I have CUPS
configured so there's only sound still outstanding.

Thanks for listening to all that.

Tony Sumner