[LUG] USB 'Sarge' Install

jon.davey2@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> sure it was because I copied an iso onto the stick. This would be wrong,
wouldn't it ? Should I have bootdisk files on the stick and the iso on a
cd which would THEN >install onto the stick ?

Put boot stuff AND ISO on the USB media if it is large enough, I think you
need 128MB USB stick for the netinst image (you need around 80MB IIRC, but
they don't come in 80MB size).
>...the stick is 1Gig

I've only done this once or twice, people kept nicking my USB stick at work
for moving other files around, and reformatting it in strange formats. It
was also rather more fiddly to set up than a CD install, but most of our
servers don't have a CD ROM drive, so we have to plug in something to a
USB port, be it a USB stick or a CD ROM drive.
>......the stick was FAT 14 when I bought it. The Debian install instructions
said the this is OK
The moral, once you get a working image, dd it to a safe place on a harddisk
or a CD, so you can restore it to the USB stick easily.
>...i'd like, really, to run the system without a hdd...
When I did it I worked from the Debian installation manual**, but it is
a bit "general purpose", and I seem to recall I had to fiddle about getting
it to find the ISO image mid-install because I put it in the wrong place.
One of the installation team had reinstalling Debian to 7 key presses at
one point, so if you feel the challenge of just getting it working isn't
enough, zero key presses beckons!
>....ha, I might just take that challenge on.....
** http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en

CDs do have some advantages, in that people don't wipe them (generally).
>....OK, thanks for the reply. I have just been thinking though, something
I didn't mention was that I am downloading and copying the files from a
Windows machine. I think this may be complicating matters.
Cheers,
Jon Davey.