Re: [LUG] Java Runtime Environment

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:26:12 -0500
Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 12:18:21PM +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
> > Having recently installed kubuntu Edgy I have lost my javascript plugin.
> > So I copied the relevant bin file and installed it successfully. I then
> > tried to get Firefox to find it but no luck.
>
> Javascript doesn't have anything to do with Java. What's not working?

Perhaps I have the wrong name. When I am using Firefox I sometime go to
a site which needs Java to show everything. I get a message telling me
to install the plugin, which is what I am trying to do.

Unlike Flash which just installed I am told that I have to install it
manually. So I have downloaded the file jre-1.5.0...... a .bin file. I
ran it according to the instructions and it installed OK. Then I was
instructed to create a symbolic link in my plugins folder to

jre1.5.0_9/plugins/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I have done this but Firefox does not see java. When I try about:plugins
I see Flash and Realplay and nothing else.

Neil Winchurst