Re: [LUG] Children in need F/LOSS Install Day in devon *and* cornwall (was Children in Need Linux Install Day)

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 07/11/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have done a bit more today about the Children In Need Linux install
>> day idea.  I have asked one of the presenters at Gemini who owns a club
>> in Exeter if he could think of anywhere where we could hold an event.
>>

> Why restrict it to just Linux?
>
> I imagine there are many more people who would be interested in trying
> openoffice, firefox, thunderbird, gimp, inkscape, etc on their windows
> or macintosh system - providing them with CDs with all the open source
> software they need for a small donation would surely work excellently.
>
> We could even organise 2 events - one in devon and one in cornwall -
> we have 2 local radio stations in cornwall and I'm sure I get speak to
> somebody to get a mention on at least one of them.
>
> If we're holding two events *and* they're open to a broader range of
> people that could even make the local TV news and papers if we can
> announce it far enough in advance.
>
> How much longer have we got to organise?
>
> Cheers,
>
> A.

Children in Need day is 17th November.  I was thinking that 18th
November would be a good day as its a Saturday and so close to Children
In Need day.

Getting a mention in the paper might not be a problem as they seem to
like these sort of things.  All we'd need is an editorial.

With regards to the radio stations, I work in Gemini Exeter in the news
room (well I work in IT but my desk is in the news room) so I get to
mention things like this directly to the people who are likely to
mention it.

I got the idea for a Linux install day from the Ubuntu UK mailing list.
Someone on there suggested a national Ubuntu install day although since
we have members who use a varied range of Linux distros I wanted it to
be more of a broad Linux install day.

I'm waiting to hear back from my colleague at work with regards to his
club, he has concerns with regards to physical security which is
understandable.  I did also think we could try some of the local schools
too as they're likely to have net access and enough room.  I think the
only issue with that is getting the ICT co-ordinators for the school to
agree to us plugging in maybe one machine into the school network to run
as a gateway to t'internet.

Rob