Re: [LUG] Home office task force for child protection on the inernet

paul sutton wrote:
> Ok I am addressing two points here,
>
> the first is the link to the task force,   I am sure the open source
> community should be represented on this.
>
> http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publication/operational-policing/ho_model.pdf?view=Binary
>
> This document also gives guidelines on good practice for chat rooms (or
> channles as we call them on IRC)  Pgs 12 - 15,  However a general
> summary can be found here
>
> a shorter summary is here, http://www.chatdanger.com/chat/setup.aspx
As a general pointer I would say first last and *always* to anyone,
child or not... NEVER put your real name into your profile in a chat
client and never divulge it unless at a group meeting of all of the
regulars of the channel/chat room in person.  Obviously if the channel
has grown *from* a group that met in person beforehand then that doesn't
necessarily apply, however caution is still advised if someone none of
the group knows in person subsequently joins.

I've lost count of the people I have seen on IRC with their full real
name (not just their first name) in their profile, *and* an idented
address that shows their geographical locality, to anyone with half a
braincell.  For example 'chgo.il.comcast.com' which doesn't take a
genius to figure out.  It constantly amazes me also how many don't
actually seem to care either.  Maybe it's not just children who need
protection, but also those who insist on *acting like children*.

The above may seem paranoid but I do know people personally who have
been stalked in real life by people they first chatted to online.

Kind regards,

Julian