Re: [LUG] Home office task force for child protection on the inernet

Ok I am addressing two points here,

the first is the link to the task force,   I am sure the open source
community should be represented on this.

http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publication/operational-policing/ho_model.pdf?view=Binary

This document also gives guidelines on good practice for chat rooms (or
channles as we call them on IRC)  Pgs 12 - 15,  However a general
summary can be found here

a shorter summary is here, http://www.chatdanger.com/chat/setup.aspx

Is this something the lug should look into.

I think if we want to encourage more people on the lug, then this would
be a good start,  I have found that it's very diifcult to get posters up
with the channel details on because they don't see beyond the 'chat
room' factor,  I am sure that the same code of practice can be exteded
to the mailing list,  but just reminding users not to give out personal
info won't hurt,  as for registration AFAIK all that is collected is
e-mail address for the mailing list.

If anything we can be seen to be following good practice, if we can come
up with something, perhaps the UKlug will host it for us,  that way all
groups in the uK can follow the same code of practice,  which will look
very good for the community.   by doing this we may be able to encourge
more young people into the community, by reassuring parents / carers we
are following these to ensure safety.

I think the safety factor applies mainly to young people but can be
applied to anyone.