Re: [LUG] Folders &Saving in Kubuntu

john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "John Hansen" <john.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I am afraid that as a newbie I am missing something due to old age perhaps.
> However I can not see how I make folders and use the "save as" nor can I work out
> which part of the harddrive to save to. In Windows it is simple. I either save to
> drive C or to an external drive. What do I do in Kubuntu 6.06?

In Kubuntu and GNU/Linux in general the part of the hard drive which you
would normally save to is the /home/<username> directory. I'm pretty
sure that when you use the save as function this is the folder that it
defaults to. The rest of the hard drive, everything under the /
directory is used by the system for storing everything other than user
files, like temporary files, general configuration files, program files
etc etc, and is usually only editable by the root user. To create
folders in your home directory you just need to right-click in the file
browser and select 'new folder' or something along those lines (sorry I
don't know specifically but I don't use Kubuntu); to create folders in
/, I'm not sure of the graphical method, but you could change to root
with the command 'su -' and then your root password on the terminal and
give the command mkdir <directory name>.

I hope this helps, and I hope it's correct! I always worry when giving
advice - please correct me if I'm wrong!

Jon