Re: [LUG] Restricting logon times for normal users

Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've finally got round to setting up a PC for my fiancée's daughter.
> The PC is a lowish spec PC so I decided to install Xubuntu on it.
>
> Now I'm having a problem working out how to restrict login times to the
> PC.  My fiancée doesn't want her daughter logging on after 7pm during
> the week or after 9pm on a weekend.  I have done a bit of a search and
> found /etc/security/time.conf which appears to allow restrictions on
> when commands can be run.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work and I
> can login as a normal user despite restricting the logon.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can restrict the logon?  I did think
> of maybe having a cron job move about the /etc/passwd files but I'm not
> so sure about that as if I need to log into the PC remotely I'm worrying
> it might not work.
>
> Rob

You could just have a cron job to switch between a passwd file with her
user in and one without.Although what ever you do she will be able to
circumvent it so possibly the best thing to do is just ask nicely not to
use it at those times.

--
Tom (the younger)