Re: [LUG] DNS Settings

Neil Winchurst wrote:

> This seems to work OK, but when I check on it later I find that it has
> reverted to the original setting. There must be something I do not
> understand (nothing unusual in that). How can I keep the new settings
> in place?

DHCP will supply DNS settings.

Personally if it is giving you grief I'd fix the settings supplied by DHCP.

However if you are sure you want to override the DHCP settings you need
either to disable DHCP entirely on that box, or to find the active dhcp
client config and configure the settings in that.

In Debian this is /etc/dhclient.conf but I think Ubuntu has moved it
into /etc/dhcp3/ or some such. For most options you have "prepend",
"supersede" or "append", the manual page is good ;)

Me I disable DHCP for home use, if I don't need it, but for bigger
networks I override settings via the dhclient.conf (if I can't configure
the same DHCP settings for everyone). The choice is simply a question of
manageability, we could conceivably change DHCP settings at work, and
redoing each box would be a pain, but my home network doesn't create a
major renumbering crisis if I need to renumber something.