Re: [LUG] Wireless Lan Adapter

Rob Beard wrote:

> On older versions of Ubuntu installing the package *build-essentials*
> would install GCC and make etc.
>
> Which version of Ubuntu is it?  I believe the kernels on 5.10 were built
> with GCC 3.4 whereas Edgy (and I think Dapper) use GCC 4.0

Good point!

Yea this often is a small problem as the gcc used to build kernel
modules must be the same as built the kernel. The easiest way to check
is to do modinfo on an existing module eg "modinfo usbcore" :-

debian:/home/robin# modinfo usbcore
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.17.9/kernel/drivers/usb/core/usbcore.ko
license:        GPL
vermagic:       2.6.17.9 mod_unload K8 gcc-4.1

so i'm on gcc-4.1

You can install multiple gccs with apt-get install gcc-4.0 etc to use a
specific version when you call make use :-

make CC=gcc-4.0

debian symlinks gcc to the latest version so it defaults to the newest
with just "make"

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk