Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux in schools

Neil Williams wrote:
> On 03/11/06 19:34:00, Rob Beard wrote:
>> One of the places I used to work - The John Innes Centre
>> (www.jic.bbrsc.ac.uk) they were using DEC Alpha boxes when I started
>> but as Linux gained market share they saw the benefits of moving over
>> to Linux (RedHat 7, 8 and 9 at the time).  I wouldn't be surprised if
>> the majority of the Alpha boxes have been replaced with Intel/AMD
>> based workstations.
>
> Debian retains support for Alpha. If there are boxes going spare, they
> would make great GNU/Linux machines.

Not sure what they did with them.  IIRC one of my ex-colleagues got at
least one Alpha and did exactly that - installed Debian on it.

I managed to get two Sparc workstations from them, one I installed
Solaris on, the other Red Hat 6.  In the end though due to a nagging
wife at the time and lack of space I took them back.

Rob