Re: [LUG] Gnucash

On 02/11/06 22:47:26, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Now that I am using kubuntu edgy and I have read their philosophy I
have decided to use gnucash instead of moneydance. It is much the
same and I expect that I will get used to it. Just one thing that I can't get used to - can I sort the entries so that the most recent are at the top of the screen instead of at the bottom?

Not really - it wouldn't be as you expect because the new transaction, where you enter new data, will still be at the bottom.

It's a philosophical / accountancy principle, not a matter of user preference. GnuCash sticks closely to (paper-based) accountancy principles which basically puts new entries in the only place a paper-based system can put new data, at the end.

You say you prefer the philosophy of GnuCash - well, this is one part of the results of the that philosophy.

There are sort options for the GnuCash register window - check the View menu.

Think about how the running balance would look with the new data at the top too - it doesn't really work.

Maybe when accountants move into the digital age such things may change.

I have used Moneydance for years and it has become somewhat ingrained
to look at the top of the screen for the recent info. Silly, I know,
so
if it is not possible I will just have to put up with it.

All things are possible with free software, the problem is that your preference doesn't match the principles behind the program. Rightly or wrongly, gnucash puts accounting principles ahead of user preferences. Turn that around and GnuCash becomes as useless as Quicken.

--

Neil Williams