Re: [LUG] Useful programs in kubuntu

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:15:57 +0000
Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
> They are all available, but you need to enable the various "extra"
> repositories to see them. By default, you don't get the various non-free
> package repositories.
> I would have a look at -
> https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/extra-repositories.html
> which explains how to enable those. The Kubuntu desktop guide (from which the
> above is a little part) is actually excellent for explaining how to set up
> those little extras - such as multimedia things.
> The only thing to be aware of is that you are using edgy, so you need to make
> sure that any repository which uses dapper will need to be changed to edgy.
> For example, a small part of my sources.list is -
>
> deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe multiverse
> deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe multiverse
>
> In that example - taken from my Dapper install - you would change the word
> dapper to edgy
> That by the way is the multiverse repository, where many of the multimedia
> things live ;)
>
> Mark

Thanks for that, I have bookmarked the above URL and I will study it
as soon as. Thanks also for explaining about RPM files. I must learn
that ubuntu and debian distros work differently from the Red Hat group
which is what I am used to. That's OK, I did realise that there were
going to be lots of things to unlearn and relearn now that I am using a
distro from a different group.

Regards

Neil