Re: [LUG] Useful programs in kubuntu

On Friday 03 November 2006 12:52, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Have had some good help so far with Kubuntu, thanks to everyone. I find
> the adept system really good and it certainly helps to avoid the
> problems with dependencies.
>
> What I am wondering now is -
>
> all my previous versions of Linux (eg Suse, Mandriva) had some useful
> programs already included when I installed them.
> I am referring to such items as Real Player, Acrobat Reader and several
> plugins for Firefox. I expected these to be present in kubuntu but
> they are missing.
>
> I looked for them in Adept but they are not there either. I know that I
> can download the RPM files but again there does not seem to be any
> program around for installing them. I have the Ark program which will
> handle extracting compressed files, but what about installing them
> afterwards?
>
> Any help please?
>
> Neil Winchurst

Hi Neil,
They are all available, but you need to enable the various "extra"
repositories to see them. By default, you don't get the various non-free
package repositories.
I would have a look at -
https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/extra-repositories.html
which explains how to enable those. The Kubuntu desktop guide (from which the
above is a little part) is actually excellent for explaining how to set up
those little extras - such as multimedia things.
The only thing to be aware of is that you are using edgy, so you need to make
sure that any repository which uses dapper will need to be changed to edgy.
For example, a small part of my sources.list is -

deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe multiverse
deb-src http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe multiverse

In that example - taken from my Dapper install - you would change the word
dapper to edgy
That by the way is the multiverse repository, where many of the multimedia
things live ;)

Mark