Re: [LUG] Useful programs in kubuntu

On Friday 03 November 2006 12:52, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I looked for them in Adept but they are not there either. I know that I
> can download the RPM files but again there does not seem to be any
> program around for installing them. I have the Ark program which will
> handle extracting compressed files, but what about installing them
> afterwards?

Just noticed the mention of rpm there. I would suggest avoiding rpms in
Kubuntu. It *is* possible to use rpm packages in Kubuntu, by using something
called alien, but it is likely to result in failure. Either go for the
packages from the repositories for Ubuntu, or build from source. Rpm is the
package format for Mandiva, RedHat and SUSE for example, whereas for *buntu
and Debian based distros, it is .deb

Mark