Re: [LUG] MS-Novell

On Friday 03 November 2006 10:20, Henry Bremridge wrote:

> Reasons I have heard:
>
> -   M$ have realised the error of their ways
I cannot believe that! Microsoft may be "evil" or whatever, but they are very
very clever at what they do - and their techniques are well polished!

> -   Novell have screwed up
Well, they are running a very poor second to RedHat in the Enterprise Linux
stakes - so perhaps they think climbing into bed with the guys at Redmond
will give them an edge. Myself, I think this act will simply ensure they
become the lepers of the GNU/Linux world. Nobody will want to know them.
However, the business users may not be concerned about the philosophies
behind GNU/Linux and could see this as a way to finally get their mixed Linux
and Microsoft systems supported together and working as they would like.

> -   M$ preparing for the failure of Vista
Much as I would love to see it, it isn't going to happen. The people who buy
new PCs will get Vista from January or whenever it is released - and they
will have no choice. It is possible - and likely - that the business users
(Microsofts main income for Windows) will be slow on the uptake - but
Microsoft can wait. They will doubtless be implementing "encouragements"  -
such as Office 2008 or whatever, which will be Vista only and will not be
backwards compatible or some other trick to force business users to migrate.

> -   M$ generating some good will
I nearly choked on my cup of tea laughing at that one!
No comment ;)

I still believe they want to get their paws on Xen, maybe Mono and to look
towards a foothold in the Linux areas which they so far are failing badly
in - servers for instance. They will gain a lot more from this than Novell -
thats for sure! Novell may get MS Office for Linux - presumably licenced
purely for Novell, which may benefit some people, but other than that, I have
no idea. As I think OpenOffice is as good anyway, I cannot see any point in
that.
It will be an interesting few months!

Mark