Re: [LUG] Interesting article about the MS Vista EULA

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:25:42 +0000
Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 October 2006 06:16, Simon Waters wrote:
> > Michael Mortimore wrote:
> > > On the other hand, who actually buys windows?
> >
> > On past experience, almost everyone who owns a PC.
>
> Therin lies Microsofts ace card! Because of the way Windows is marketed and
> the pressures put upon retailers (via cheap OEM versions of Windows providing
> they don't sell competitive products), it is almost impossible to buy a PC or
> laptop without Windows.

I must consider myself lucky then. I live in Holsworthy and the local
computer shop will build computers to order. When I had mine built last
May I specified no operating system and they were quite happy to do
that. And they did not charge me for Windows. I got my own Linux distro
and installed it myself once I had the computer at home.

Surely there must be other small local computer shops that will do the
same??

Neil Winchurst