Re: [LUG] Interesting article about the MS Vista EULA

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:25:42 +0000
> Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> On past experience, almost everyone who owns a PC.
>>>
>> Therin lies Microsofts ace card! Because of the way Windows is marketed and
>> the pressures put upon retailers (via cheap OEM versions of Windows providing
>> they don't sell competitive products), it is almost impossible to buy a PC or
>> laptop without Windows.
>>

> I must consider myself lucky then. I live in Holsworthy and the local
> computer shop will build computers to order. When I had mine built last
> May I specified no operating system and they were quite happy to do
> that. And they did not charge me for Windows. I got my own Linux distro
> and installed it myself once I had the computer at home.
>
> Surely there must be other small local computer shops that will do the
> same??

There are some.  Any computers I build I give the customer the option,
Linux or Windows.  I explain the price difference too.  I think a few
years back most people would have just got a copied version of Windows
2000 or 98 but now with Linux becoming stronger on the Desktop (not to
mention easier to use) and with Windows XP being so hard to pirate more
people will consider Linux if they're told about it.

Then again there are still thousands of people who go to PC World or
Dell etc.

I guy I used to work with in Exeter now runs his own computer business.
He has a disclaimer on his web site saying that if he works on a PC and
has to reinstall Windows and the customer doesn't have a valid license
(and CD I think) he will charge them for a Windows CD and license.  I
keep meaning to pop in to see him and ask if he has tried Linux.

Rob