Re: [LUG] Microsoft Partner Magazine - Go Green article...

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> paul sutton wrote:
>

>> You forgot to mention of  course that Microsoft still boast having a
>> lower TCO,  I am crap at maths and can't work this out,  cost of New
>> computer + new operating system < than keep Old computer + install of
>> free software.   Hmm  I wonder if they are using the old windows calc
>> program.  Ok you need to take into account training staff and employing
>> someone who can install / admin Linux,
>>

> Someone has to be trained to install/admin windows as well. Although you
> could probably blunder your way through with a little (dangerous) knowledge.
>
> If people were taught how to use spreadsheets instead of how to use
> Excel etc... then you wouldn't have to retrain staff either.
>
> And any paid support is going to cost a similar amount i would imagine.
>
> No i agree the TCO should not be higher.

You wouldn't think so.  I think some of the problem is due to the fact
that not every IT person cares about trying Linux.  I know some people
who are fairly good Windows admins but put down Linux because they don't
get on well with it and aren't willing to learn how to use it.  I think
it's an ego thing with them.

Still I think its good that more people are starting to take notice of
Linux.  It is certainly made easier joining a LUG and having the
experience and advice of other Linux users to help.

Rob