Re: [LUG] Doh!

On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 23:17 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > At least with sudo if I need to run something as root I can just use sudo.
> > Anyway, as I say, the remedy is simple. We need a simple command in
> > (k)ubuntu which switches you back to normal user and cancels the
> > rootmode. No leaving it as root for 15 minutes. (I wonder who came
> > up with that one?) Then we users could run this command as soon as we
> > had finished with the command that needed root. Perhaps we as a user
> > group should put some pressure on the ubuntu programmers to provide it.
> > IMHO it would be much safer and not at all difficult to use.
> >
> As far as I know you sudo just runs the one command as root, anything
> else you run is still as a normal user unless you specificially use the
> sudo command in front of the command you want to run.

Correct. You are not left as root for 15 mins, you are only root for the
one command that you enter. However, Ubuntu (sudo?) remembers the
password for 15 mins, so that if you have more commands to use with
sudo, then you don't have to keep reentering the password. After 15 mins
it will prompt you again.

Of course, if you want to remain as root you can simply enter 'sudo
bash' to get a shell as the root user, or 'sudo su -' to become the root
user.

John.