Re: [LUG] OT: GNU GPL copyright

On 25/10/06 13:32:35, Robin Cornelius wrote:
On 10/25/06, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If you're a sole trader, your name is your business name. JodSoft
> is simply a trading name of 'Jody Salt' which is the legal name of > your business

That is true for certain parts of law but not all.

> JodSoft is not a legal entity.

This voids my point then, so it only applies to a registered business
eg a ltd company.

IMHO, no, it applies to any identifiable person or body.

At what point then does a business become a entity in law.

Which part of law?
:-)

A business becomes a body corporate when it is registered as a company - Company Law and Tax Law. (IIRC also employment law). A title becomes a legal instrument for copyright (and patents) as soon as a document is published (or with a patent 'filed') under that title.

It is then up to the person to be able to prove that this title applies uniquely to them.

Is there
really any difference between a sole traders "business" and a
unlimited company?

Depends.
:-)

Which area of law?