Re: [LUG] OT: GNU GPL copyright

On 25/10/06 13:24:29, David Johnson wrote:
On Wednesday 25 October 2006 12:58, jody salt wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
>   Hopefully today I will release my Blog software under the GNU GPL
> license, however I've got a question on how I should do my
copyright. I've
> got a business called JodSoft (sole trader) should I use my business
name

If you're a sole trader, your name is your business name. JodSoft is
simply a
trading name of 'Jody Salt' which is the legal name of your business -

JodSoft is not a legal entity.

In tax, criminal law, company law and employment law, yes. Under copyright law, no.

A Copyright Holder is exactly as named - if someone else can prove that Jody has transferred the name JodSoft to someone else, that person becomes the copyright holder in much the same way that patents are bought and sold.

e.g. "Copyright 1999 The QuickList team." - that creates a legal copyright holder out of those persons who can be, at a later date, identified as belonging to the team in 1999. If those persons agree, the identity and composition of the team can be changed at any time and can easily include replacing all the original members with a new team. The copyright still remains with the team, not with the original members who transferred their copyright to the team - *unless* they also included personal copyright statements in the same file.

--

Neil Williams