Re: [LUG] Adding kubuntu

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 03:04:53 +0100
Simon Robert <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's true that the partition tool isn't as good as mandriva's, but it
> did spot free space on my windows partition automaticaly. So if that's
> what you want no problems. I wanted to install in the partitions used by
> kubuntu 6.6. This used three partitions, sda 5, 6 and 7, 6.10 uses 2.
> Just select the partitions you want to use on the screen that displays
> all the partitions in graphical mode and reformat them. kubuntu will do
> the rest - this case changing the three partitions, boot, root and swap,
> into two - swap and root.

Thanks for all that.
I have never tried to set up a dual boot system before and I am a bit
concerned about partitioning the HD. At the moment my HD is set up
entirely for Mandriva as follows
/dev/sda1/ 5.8Gb for root
/dev/sda6  139.9Gb for /home

I have over 134Gb unused on sda6

When I try to install kubuntu will it think that the whole disk is
allocated to Mandriva and that there is no room left? If so, do I need
to do some repartitioning via Mandrake before I install kubuntu?

Or will the kubuntu installer help me with this? I could, for example,
leave about 20Gb for Mandriva and leave the rest for kubuntu. Can
anyone help me with this please?

Neil Winchurst