Re: [LUG] Email Program for Kubuntu?

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> If you manually install software you must manually upgrade it.

Of course Thunderbird and Mozilla are exceptions, because they auto-update.

Although I have used a Mozilla Firefox on a GNU/Linux desktop, the
Debian package is better integrated into the desktop in little ways, and
 is likely to give you less problems long term, I suspect the same is
true for Ubuntu packages, indeed I'd expect them to share patches at the
very least.

Of course having every program doing its own updates is a security risk as;

1) you are less likely to spot one failing (compared to say a routine
general update like cron-apt.

2) the program much have permission to update itself, which suggests it
isn't properly secured, or has a mechanism to escalate its privileges (a
notoriously problematic area of computer security).

3) if it only updates when it runs, it will slow you down unnecessarily.