Re: [LUG] Mail questions

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> I'm guessing I now
> need to publish my public key to a website somewhere so people can
> actually authenticate the messages I send? Also, I can also use OpenPGP
> to encrypt files? Well I guess I need to read the documentation!

There is a HOWTO on the DCGLUG Wiki.

Neil W is something of a guru on the topic of using it, having lurked on
the GNUPG mailing list for too long.

Enigmail lets you indicate where you've put the public key on the
Internet (URI) in the emails. But it is far more useful just to stick
the public key on the public key servers.

# First configure a keyserver - you want a "subkey safe" (sks) server.

$ grep keyserver .gnupg/gpg.conf
keyserver  random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de

# Then find your key ID

$ gpg --list-keys Simon Waters | head -1 # Actually you need to read the
output but "-1" will do for mine.
pub   1024D/8F455606 2002-11-01

# Then send it.

$ gpg --send-key 8F455606
gpg: sending key 8F455606 to hkp server random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de

GUIs exist -- but probably with cryptography it is a good idea to have a
vague idea what is happening underneath, so you don't send your secret
key anywhere, or something equally silly. So learn with the command
line, and then chose a GUI for key management later. To be honest I do
so little key management I usually use "gpg" directly.