Re: [LUG] Distros??

To my mind, you should continually re-evaluate whether what you're
using is giving you what you want. Distros evolve, and so does a user's requirements and knowledge. As your experience and knowledge grows, you may find that your current distro isn't giving you the room and flexibility you need... so you have the option of changing.

Definitely - although now that I've been accepted as a Debian Developer I can't see me changing to anything else!

http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/

(Anyone going to LinuxWorld Expo in Olympia will find me on the Emdebian stand on both days.)

I respect Ubuntu because it achieves it's own objectives so well. I'm less convinced that Ubuntu is a distro that can "grow" with the user. Just like Mandrake, Ubuntu is a great introduction but seems to leave a lot of experienced users wanting more than Ubuntu can provide. That may change in the future.

I've tried just about every distro I could find before settling on Debian - Ubuntu wasn't around at the time but I tried Slackware, RH, Fedora, Mandrake, Yoper, SuSE and a few others that I can't even remember. The only distro in the list in my other email that I really don't ever want to use is Gentoo! The theoretical performance advantage just pales into insignificance when I consider ALL that time spent just compiling over and over and over again. I compile my own packages again and again during development, I don't want to have to do that for all the others as well!

And that is but one of Free Software's advantages... it isn't a "one
size fits all" approach.

Absolutely - even M$ have learnt that lesson. It may be confusing for consumers but there have been multiple versions of Windows on simultaneous release since NT.

So, my list:
amd64: Debian unstable.
powerpc: Debian unstable.
h3900 iPAQ: Familiar/GPE based on Debian.
i386 : 1 Debian stable, 2 Debian testing, 1 (dying) Fedora 5.

I think it's clear that my favourite is Debian.
:-)

--

Neil Williams