Re: [LUG] kernel modules question - problem

On 10/18/06, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 18/10/06 09:50:55, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> > On 10/18/06, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > G'day all,
> > >
> > > I have a pci card that requires a module to be loaded for it to
> > work.
> > >
> > What does the card do anyway?
> >

> x25 connectivity, we use it for sending sms messages to vodafone's
> smsc.
>
> vendor came back and they have a beta release of the code they are
> going to send me.
> Seems they are not dropping support, but I can assume that since the
> card has been eol'd then revelopment is pretty low on the priority
> list!

Try to ask they for a source release and try to explain that if you
can get a GPL release and get it into the kernel it a) opens up
possibilities of others using it (increases market share, potential
sales). Also due to the nature of the GPL community the community will
help out with patches and self support (i assume however this is quite
a niche market).

There is nothing in the source code that would give their competitors
any advantage, chances are that there competitors if they can make
their own cards are fully capable of reverse engineering anyway to see
how it works, so all they do by not releaseing the code is lock people
in to specific kernel versions etc.

Words like sales, potential customer base increase etc all get
attention from these types of companies.

A good example if you want to give them is ralink the wireless chipset
manufacture. They have GPL'd there code and their chipset is fairly
common on linux now and heading for full kernel inclusion for out of
box support. (in fact many distros ship the modules already for out of
box support). Ralink have also increased their market share.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk