Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux in schools

On 10/17/06, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Reminds me of previous discussions on how IT should be taught using
> > the Universal Computer - not the computer that happens to be on the
> > desk today. The little 'experience' I had of computers at school was
> > looking
> > at the back of a Commodore Pet from a distance of about 20 feet (no
> > pupils were allowed in the same room as 'it'), a BBC micro (excellent
> > machine) that my mother obtained on loan as a teacher and the wonders
> > of a ZX81. Variety, that's part of the answer.
> > :-)
> >
> I try to show my kids what things were like when I was their age.  Hence
> having a Commodore VIC20 and Acorn Electron sitting upstairs.  My
> fiance's third eldest daughter was interested in the Electron and typing
> Basic programs in.
>
> When I started secondary school (Teignmouth Community College) in 1989
> they had a few BBC Micro machines and a suite of 16 RM Nimbus PC's (with
> 186 CPU's and about 1MB ram).  We were taught Word Processing (RSA
> training material) using Microsoft Word for DOS although it seemed to be
> some sort of specific RM version for the Nimbus machines.  We also
> learned a bit on how to use WordWise on the BBC's too.  Anything we
> learned (i.e. the principals of using a Word Processor - document
> editing, printing, saving, loading, cut/copy/paste etc) could and was
> used on a variety of applications.  My personal favorite package was
> Microsoft Works for DOS back then.
>
> It was only about 1993/94 when I started using Word for Windows (Word 6
> and later on Word 95).  I think before then businesses used a variety of
> packages such as Wordstar, Wordperfect 5.1 (wasn't this the standard?)
> and Lotus 1-2-3.  Now it seems that every business I come across use
> Windows & Office.

I saw an ad in a magazine yesterday saying that the Acorn name is back
in business. Then I saw the following line on their web site: "Acorn
recommends Microsoft (r) Windows(r) XP".

To a diehard Acorn enthusiast like me that is like "The Church of
England recommends tearing the living heart from a sacrificial victim
at the high altar". Over reaction I suppose but even so...

--
Martinus Scriblerus scripsit