Re: [LUG] Spam filter

On 10/10/06 20:40:02, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I've started to get a load of spam warning messages to one of my
> mail
> > addresses.  It seems that the 'catch-all' feature of Orange (nee
> > Wanadoo/Freeserve) is allowing mail servers on the internet to send
> out
> > delivery failed notifications to my e-mail address even though they
> > didn't originate from me!
> >

> Yea its called backscatter. I no longer run a catch all for this very
> reason. Its amazing how much spam is directed at <random>@somedomain
> so
> only allowing genuine usernames cuts out quite a bit.
>
> I don't know what the real solution is.

I believe that for most people, isp's should be blocking outbound smtp
connections and only allowing x messages in y minutes, it would be easy
to implement and would cut down a while lot of spam from spam bots.

I am sure there are down sides though.

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\