Re: [LUG] Xandros 3.0.1 - unable to login

Julian Hall wrote:

> I tried 'apt-get
> clean' as Simon suggested, but that didn't seem to free any space - no
> doubt because I don't use a single partition - I mount / and /home
> separately - and I know Simon you said it worked on single partition
> systems

Oh, "clean" only frees space used by "apt-get" for storing local copies
of packages. You probably didn't have any around.

But for a lot of Debian based systems it is easy to have a few hundred
megabytes in there. As such if I find a Debian box out of disk space, it
is my first stab at freeing up some space, as you often get enough freed
up to get below the magic 100% figure for disk usage, so other apps
start working again, and people can login and get back to working.

I believe the KDE applet for this would be the "free disk space applet",
but I guess if you didn't find it already, that probably isn't much help.

Guess I should go find a GNOME applet for myself, but since running out
of disk space only seems to stop Thunderbird filing my sent email, I've
never worried too much about it. Far more useful would be reparitioning
my box with a bigger "/" file system (3.5GB is way too small for Debian
these days, if you like playing with software).