[LUG] Mail server security

Hello everyone.
After several days, I have finally managed to get my mail server system
up and running (though I first tried this several years ago). I'm using
postfix with TLS and SMTP AUTH and courier-imap with imap-ssl only. The
question I have is how do I restrict the users that can use these
services. I tried adding the following line to /etc/pam.d/imapd and
/etc/pam.d/other and adding a userlist to /etc/pam.users:

auth    required   /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=allow
file=/etc/pam.users onerr=fail

I added this before the other auth lines, but did not comment out or
delete the existing lines. I have no idea what I'm doing with PAM.

Despite this line, root is still allowed to use the email system- both
imap and smtp. As you might imagine, this is hardly desirable. I also
want to restrict it to just the users I say, to make sure that no other
special accounts can be used.

Thanks in advance
Simon