Re: [LUG] /dev/scd0

if it's read only as Neil suggested then you can't. Did it come with a
cd or instructions? the cd might have an admin program of some sort
which might use a different interface.

it seems odd that fdisk can't see it. are you telling it to open
/dev/scd or /dev/scd0? you should use the first one, as that's where
the partition table will be. you could also try cfdisk. I think it's a
bit more advanced, eg last i checked (many moons ago) fdisk couldn't
go beyond the 127gig barrier.

or try dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/scd0 to zero the partition. but
obviously this won't work if it's readonly

You could always return it and get a proper one... It seems like alot
of effort for something that should be so simple.