Re: [LUG] Root room

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:08:17 +0100
"Robin Cornelius" <robin.cornelius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/20/06, Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Should I be worried? What happens if it gets full?
>
> Things will (probably) break
>
> Is this one single root / partition with everything under that or do
> you have /homes etc somewhere else, i did not understand your
> description.

here is the output from df

/dev/sda1             5.8G  4.5G  1.1G  82% /
/dev/sda6             140G  5.0G  135G   4% /home

I hope that helps.

> Basicly is /var on that disk as this is all your logs and temp files

var is under root, that is /var

> you can play hunt the offending disk wasters with the du command. Go
> to a directory eg /
>
> type
>
> du * -s | grep sort -g
>
> this will show you a sorted list of files and sub directorys and there
> size (biggest at the bottom)

I tried that but it complained about the -g option.

> You might also have a large cache of rpm files some where in
> /var/cache/???? that you have downloaded etc through a package
> manager.

I have looked around /var/cache and there don't seem to be many big
files anywhere.