Re: [LUG] Next year

Adrian Midgley wrote:

>Tom Brough wrote:
>

>>As we haven't done anything as a group to mark software Freedom day
>>(16/09/2006)
>>

>Shall we work on what is needed to establish the support ecology locally
>for FLOSS for next year's day?
>
>I agree with Theo and others that there are software things to do still,
>but I think they are less needed than the ignition of the economy that
>is required to assure people's aunts and employers that they can rely
>upon supportable solutions that have their new problems solved.

Is the support ecology top priority ?

The Community software support model is radically different from
proprietary model. Support comes from within. Yes we need to let people
know that DCLUG is there for ALL its members old/young new / experienced
and where to find us (other than being a google away). But strength
comes in numbers, more eyes and ears. One might argue that the greater
the numbers the better the support.

My personal focus would be on younger members of our society... They
need to know now that they have choices for their future and important
ones too. As I get old I see a lot more doors closing than opening. But
I can remember when I was young and sat in front of my BBC Micro for
many an hour. Our machines back then where no more than pocket
calculators but if you could plug a tape deck into a radio you could
record programs beamed directly from the BBC on radio programmes present
by (Barry Norman ?), thinking one day this will be multimedia, linked to
the world, interactive and improving my education.

All this is now true... I can email and chat (via IRC) and even at times
use gnomemeeting for video conferencing to friends in far off places
like the Philippines, Brazil and the Cameroon, and I (and they) can do
it all using FLOSS.

Some say that we should use Microsoft because it is the Market Leader.
However most of the "market leaders" in the day of my BBC have long
perished..... who uses wordstar or visicalc ? Yet what conceptually is
the difference between these products and word / writer or excel / calc
- very little.

The fact is that tommorow Microsoft, Linux and even GNU might go the
same way as wordstar and visicalc..... but the ideas behind community
software projects, sharing and caring for software ..... well its hard
to kill idea's even in a dictatorship.

Lets show the younger generation that we are not ashamed or embarrised
by products that members of the free software community have labored
hard and long over. Lets show them that we still have that pioneering
spirit, and that choices are available and free for them to make.

Long live the idea of FLOSS and the community that is FLOSS.

and for the Penguin (and Gnu's) sake please lets get the message out
there next year :-)

Tom.