Re: [LUG] Debian portage

Ben Goodger wrote:
> This should be built in. Anyone looking for a hacking assignment? apt-get
> build-install would be my favourite :)

Isn't going to happen.

You really don't get as much benefit as you are thinking. Debian build
environment rules are often very precise. The rebuilt package uses
precisely the same rules as the original. debuild is mostly used for
porting to different *architectures* not just kernels.

You'll have to do the hard work yourself in most cases - creating and
testing patches. The simple process of rebuilding from source without
changing the build environment is unlikely to make a particularly large
difference.

Many packages don't respond well to large changes in optimisation flags.
Some particularly intransigent Debian bugs have simply come down to not
using certain flags.

Also note that you'll need a lot of dependencies (-dev libraries). If
you're going to do this a lot, substitute 'pdebuild' for 'debuild' but
read the manpage first to generate a base tarball. pdebuild builds the
package in a chroot and gets all the dependencies from the archive for
each build.

If you want this kind of system, use a distro that is designed with this
in mind: Gentoo.

--

Neil Williams